Friday, December 14, 2007

EVAmerica 2007 Newsletter Available

Just a quick note to let you know that EVAmerica has put out its 2007 e-newsletter and it's chockfull of customer conversions you might want to cast your eyes over, including a gorgeous 108-volt MR2 conversion, and a 1984 Corvette that seems to be powered by Optima Yellow-tops. !!! When we bought that for the auxiliary battery, I wondered whether it might be suitable for an EV conversion: it requires no watering, which is awfully nice. (I know, I know, an EV requires almost no maintenance besides monthly battery-watering, so I shouldn't complain. I'm just very, very lazy.) Also interesting -- a 1981 Honda EV into which the owner has installed a 5 kw Honda generator, making it a homemade hybrid and extending its range to 88 miles!

Bob Batson has included some nice pix of unusual conversions from old issues of the newsletter, plus links to some customer web pages and conversion shops. Drop him a line at EVAmerica@aol.com if you'd like to request a copy. Be sure to tell him that I sent you, I want him to feel bad that he didn't include any pictures of the e-van!

2 comments:

K5RCR said...

I have read your saga of the vanagon conversion with great interest. I am planning to convert a vanagon starting sometime next year.

I was wondering how you are supporting the weight of the motor and transaxle on the rear motor mount. I cannot tell from the pictures how this was accomplished.

best of luck with the van and keep the news coming....thanks

jisaacs said...

From Bill K:

We used the stock Vanagon rear cross member, moved it forward around 6 inches. We also have some of the weight of the electric motor transaxle supported with electrical conduit that we made prior to removal of the ICE. This gives you a bit of support but my main objective was to keep the transmission at the correct height/angle.

I am very excited to hear that Jenny's Vanagon has become contagious. I am very willing to assist with any questions that you may have.

Bill